In-person absentee voting set to begin
In-person absentee voting will begin Sept. 17 for the upcoming general election and is available in the Suffolk voter registration office at 440 Market St. on the first floor.
Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and there will be Saturday hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 23 and Oct. 30.
The deadline to register or update voter information for the Nov. 2 general election is Oct. 12, while the deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed is Oct. 22. The last day to apply and vote in person by absentee ballot at the voter registration office is Oct. 30.
Virginia law calls for every voter to provide either an acceptable form of identification or sign an ID confirmation statement at the polls. Those who arrive at the polls to vote and do not have an acceptable form of ID will be required to either sign an ID confirmation statement or vote by provisional ballot.
To register to vote, contact the voter registration office to apply or visit the state Department of Elections website at www.elections.virginia.gov. The deadline is Oct. 11.
Absentee voting by mail begins Sept. 20. To request a mail-in ballot, visit the Virginia Department of Elections Citizen Portal at https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/.
Polls are open from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m. Nov. 2.
The offices that will appear on the Nov. 2 ballot include:
- Governor — Glenn Youngkin (R-Republican), Terry McAuliffe (D-Democrat), Princess Blanding (LP-Liberation Party)
- Lieutenant governor — Winsome Sears (R), Hala Ayala (D)
- Attorney general — Jason Miyares (R), Mark Herring (D)
- House of Delegates — 64th District (2-year term) — Emily Brewer (R), Michael Drewery (D)
- House of Delegates — 76th District (2-year term) — Michael Dillender Sr. (R), Clinton Jenkins (D), Craig Warren (I-Independent)
- Commonwealth’s Attorney (4-year term) — Narendra Pleas, Patrick Lee Bales
- Sheriff (4-year term) — E.C. Harris (unopposed)
- Commissioner of Revenue (4-year term) — Susan Draper (unopposed)
- Treasurer (4-year term) — Ronald Williams, David Boyd
- Sleepy Hole School Board special election (to serve remainder of term ending Dec. 31, 2024) — Ebony Wright, Heather Howell
Suffolk Fire & Rescue will receive $3.41 million over the next three years from a federal program that will allow... read more