Hunter Street gas leak contained
UPDATED: Suffolk Fire & Rescue announced shortly before 4 p.m. that the hazard from the ruptured gas line had been eliminated and impacted citizens had been allowed to return to their residences. A total of 14 homes were evacuated. Several citizens received shelter on the Suffolk Fire & Rescue Rehab Bus.
The affected roadway has reopened.
Earlier: Suffolk Fire & Rescue is on the scene of a gas line rupture in the 300 block of Hunter Street in the Pleasant Hill neighborhood.
Emergency Communications was made aware of the incident at 11:25 a.m. Upon preliminary investigation, it was determined that contractors working in the area had ruptured a gas service line. Virginia Natural Gas crews are also on scene.
Occupants in the area have self-evacuated. Crews are evaluating the surrounding area in case additional evacuations are needed. The Suffolk Fire & Rescue Rehab Bus is also on scene in the event it is needed.
Hunter Street is completely closed, and Suffolk Police are providing traffic control in the area.